Local History

Local History

 

 

 

 

40,000 BC

Darug Aborigines (also spelt Dharug, Daruk, Dharuk) inhabited Sydney Hills until the early 1800s.

1791

Governor Phillip journeyed to Sydney Hills in April

1794

Hawkesbury Road ( Old Windsor Road ) was developed from Toongabbie Government Farm to the Hawkesbury River . William Joyce received the first land grant in Sydney Hills and by 1811 was operating Sydney Hills's first inn that was located on this road.

1799

Joseph Foveaux was granted 300 acres, which he sold to John Macarthur in 1801. John and Elizabeth Macarthur farmed sheep on this property before establishing them at Camden . Part of this land was later acquired by the Pearce family and became known as "Bella Vista Farm." Pictured "Pearce Slab machinery shed at Bella Vista Farm"

1801

Toongabbie Road ( Junction Road ) was made from Toongabbie Government Farm to Baulkham Hills and then Castle Hill Road ( Old Northern Road ) was built to the new Castle Hill Government Farm.

1804

The convicts rebelled from the Castle Hill Government Farm on 4 March and made a stand for freedom at the Battle of Vinegar Hill on 5 March.

1807

George Suttor of "Chelsea Farm" Baulkham Hills, was the first person in the colony to produce oranges commercially.

1810

Windsor Road was constructed

1811

Castle Hill Government Farm was converted to the first lunatic asylum in the colony. It operated until 1826 when it was relocated to Liverpool .

 

1823

Most of the land in the southern part of Sydney Hills had been granted by this time. As the century progressed these original grants were subdivided into farms.

1826

Construction of Old Northern Road , part of the Great North Road , from Castle Hill to Wisemans Ferry began.

1840

The first school in Sydney Hills, St Simon's School began at the Old Castle Hill Government Farm site.

1856

John Malloy Kelly opened the first general store and post office in Sydney Hills. It was located near the corner of Junction and Windsor Roads, Baulkham Hills - now the M2.

1886

Castle Hill District Show began at Rogans Hill and moved to Showground Road , Castle Hill in 1891. Opening of the show in 1921 by the Governor.

1890s

Bella Vista Farm was declared the largest orchard in NSW.

1894

A telephone service was extended to the Hills from Parramatta .

1902

A Tram from Parramatta to Baulkham Hills commenced with an extension to Castle Hill in 1910. This accelerated the subdivision of old estates adjacent to the railway into residential blocks.

1907

Telephone links were created between the Hills and the Hawkesbury area.

1911

The population of Sydney Hills was 3, 498

 
 

1913

Joseph Cook, Member for Parramatta (which then included Baulkham Hills Shire) became the Prime Minister of Australia. Water pipes in Showground Road were connected to the Sydney Water Supply. By 1917 there were water pipes in Baulkham Hills.

1920

Slab huts in Windsor Road , Baulkham Hills, just south east of the crossroads, were used in the filming of "On our Selection".

1920s

Poultry and egg production replaced citrus and stone fruits as the main industry.

1923

A train service from Westmead to Castle Hill replaced the tram. It was extended to Rogans Hill in 1924.

1926

Electricity came to Baulkham Hills and Castle Hill.

1932

The Railway closed mainly due to the advent of the combustion engine used in trucks, cars and buses that, in turn, needed a wider main road.

1933

Population of Sydney Hills was 8, 075.

 

1956

Population of Sydney Hills was 16, 500.

1960s

Urban development accelerated from this time.

1970

Population of Sydney Hills was 52, 000.

1971

Sewerage connection was available to residents in Baulkham Hills; Castle Hill followed in 1977.

1975

Population of Sydney Hills was 70, 000.

1979

The first stage of Castle Towers Shopping Centre was commenced with additions following in 1982, 1989, 1993, 1999 and 2001.

1980

Population of Sydney Hills was 90, 000. The NSW Department of Environment and Planning began looking at the potential development of the Rouse Hill area.

1988

The Hills Centre for the Performing Arts was opened at Castle Hill.

1991

Population of Sydney Hills was 114, 032.

1997

Baulkham Hills Shire Council obtained title to two significant heritage sites: Castle Hill Heritage Park and Bella Vista Farm.

2000

Population of Sydney Hills was 131, 000

2001

Rouse Hill Regional Centre plans were revealed. Population reaches 147,000.

2004

Bicentenary of the Castle Hill Rebellion and Battle of Vinegar Hill. The former Castle Hill Government Farm was opened as Castle Hill Heritage Park by NSW Governor, Professor Marie Bashir.


 
Butterfly Farm Indy 800 Kart Track Butterfly Farm Indy 800 Kart Track Butterfly Farm Indy 800 Kart Track Sydney’s Best Outdoor Track

Have You Visited

Announcement
Off on a Holiday Adventure? Vaccinations For Travel provide complete medical services for travellers to all parts of the globe. Book your appt now!View Vaccinations for Travel »
Contact · Add Your Event · Add Media Release · Add Your Business · Privacy · Site Map · Website © 2016-2018 Stralia Web